Saturday, August 21, 2010

Are Russian cases important to learn at the beginning?

I just started studying Russian a couple months ago. I am moving along at a good clip and am wondering about the case system. I more-or-less understand the point of the cases and the role they play, but I'm wondering if I need to learn that right away, or if I should just focus on memorizing conversational situations for now. I am not trying to avoid learning the cases, I just want to know if they will confuse me if I learn them too early, while I am still trying to get a feel for the language.Are Russian cases important to learn at the beginning?
Case systems can be very confusing when starting to learn a language, particularly when coming from a language where they are not used ('who' and 'whom' are some of the last remnants of a case system in English).





I'd stick with learning some of the basics and maybe tackle one case at a time, until you're familiar with the declinations.





With Czech, I think the route I took was: nominative, accusative, genitive, and then locative, dative, instrumental and vocative some time after that.Are Russian cases important to learn at the beginning?
Learn them a little at a time. When you learn an expression, figure out what the cases are and why they are the ones to use. This is a combination of the natural, learn-by-imitation method of native speakers and the more rapid academic mode - which as adults we must use since we don't have years to spare just to learn a language the 'natural' way.





And good luck, cuz those Russian cases are no walk in the park. I learned them but I hated it because they're *redundant* when there is a preposition or fixed word order, and Russian is similar to English in these ways, yet English gets along fine without inflections.





PS: Notice I said *when* there is a preposition case endings are redundant. I can't change the language but I can have an opinion about it; it just seems way more efficient to learn single prepositions (with single functions) rather than case endings, which change not only by function but also by gender, number and whether the word is a noun or an adjective! You must enjoy a challenge to be any good at Russian.
Clear answer: Yes, you should learn them from the beginning.





Basically Aleksan (or what was his name?) is right. The cases are more important than the prepositions or the word order. Especially the prepositions depend on the cases they go with. For example, the preposition ';na'; can change its meaning depending on the case it goes with.


I started to learn Russian as a foreign language about five years ago and didn't pay too much attention to the cases at first. Then after a year I realized that I was kind of lost without them. And it was really hard for me to learn them at that stage. So the sooner you start learning them the better. But don't try to learn too much at the same time. I'd start with the noun-cases at first and leave the adjective-cases aside. But in the end you will have to know all of them...





So good luck then!
i dont know all i know is that they are hard to catch because they are always russian.
The word order usually doesn't matter, because of that the cases are just necessary to learn as early as possible. Yes, you can learn some phrases by heart before, but you won't be able to operate the language until you learn the cases. The wrong case will change the sence, as well as a wrong comma will do.


袨褌写邪褌褜 泻芯褕泻褍 - Give a cat {to somebody}


袨褌写邪褌褜 泻芯褕泻械 - Give something {to a cat}


袨褌写邪褌褜 泻芯褕泻邪 - an illegal construction, when one who hears this cannot understand what the matter is.





The cases are more important than the prepositions.

No comments:

Post a Comment